My darling mother-in-law always has something to share with me whenever we visit. During my most recent trip home, she gave me a zip-lock bag of this colorful delight. Can probably identify every bean in this assortment (except for one). We eat lots ‘n lots of grains back home, so there wasn’t much to debate about recipe ideas. Rice and beans! Yet another favorite childhood memory. This pair is a great source for cheap complementary proteins.
$$ saving tip!
One 14 oz can of beans ~ 75-99 cents.
One 16 oz bag of dried uncooked black beans ~ $1-2 .
This yields about 4-5 (depending on the size of the beans).
Do the math, and save on groceries
This dish definitely is on my list of guilt free, protein packed vegan dishes. A mouthful of flavorsome plant proteins. Serve as side dish or make it a main course.
Spicy brown rice and beans
Ingredients – Beans
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked mixed beans
- 4 cups of water
- 2 teaspoons rosemary salt
- Using a colander, rinse beans under cold water about 2-3 times, picking out the bad ones. In a crock pot or other pressure cooker, add beans, water and salt. Cook until tender (not mushy). Approximately 3-4 hours.
- When ready, strain and set aside.
Ingredients- Rice and Beans
- 2 cups cooked beans
- 2 cups brown rice cooked according to package directions
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups diced Roma tomatoes
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onions
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon crushed ginger
- 1 tablespoon packed minced parsley
- 1 tablespoon packed minced cilantro
- 1/2 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- Vegetable bouillon to taste.
- Mix rice and beans until well blended. Set aside
- In a large skillet heat oil, sauté onions and garlic for 2-3 minutes. Add tomatoes ,stir and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in rice/beans, add ginger, parsley , cilantro , about 2 tablespoons of water. Cover and let cook for 5 minutes.
- Season to taste with bouillon and serve.