This delightful bowl stirs up some wonderful tropical flavors. Gratifying, healthy and light. The weather here in Wisconsin is dealing us quite a fluctuating game. Why not dream about sunny days and upload long forgotten summer recipes.
Mangoes! Oh how I love’em. As a young girl, our neighbor had an orchard of mangoes, avocados among other fruit trees. The trees were obviously too tall to climb for my tiny 7 year old body but that didn’t put a damper on my quest for ripe juicy mangoes. Truth is, I did climb those trees, but even I wasn’t stupid enough to attempt branches that were on their last leg. I remember rising at the crack of dawn with my sister after a night of heavy rainfall. We would walk beneath those trees that seemed so challenging the day before, and discover mother nature had done the job for us. You can imagine our excitement; calling out to each other each time we found a good one. With our little hands straining to carry all our fresh picks, we resolve to a makeshift bag with our shirts ( My poor mom was probably wondering why our shirts looked so stretched out).
We would return home soaked up and dirty from our little mango hunt. Nevertheless, mission accomplished. Sinking our teeth into sweet, juicy mangoes makes it worth the adventure.
This refreshing salad definitely comes with mouthful of adventurous flavors. The sweetness from the mango, paired with a little heat from one of my favorite spicy sauces from Essiespice ; the mango chili medley makes each bite a tropical bonanza. Also made a warm pineapple balsamic vinaigrette which gave it another notch towards tropical haven.
It’s a beautiful day to dream of summer salads and try new recipes
Tropical Mango Chili Chicken salad
- ~1 pound boneless chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup diced ripe mangoes
- 1 cup bell red peppers chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped onions
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon Mango Chili Medley
- 1 tablespoon pineapple balsamic
- 3 tablespoons harissa infused olive oil
- 1 tablespoon can
- ~1/2 teaspoon salt (Or to taste)
- Rinse chicken under cold water, pad dry with paper towel. Trim excess fat from chicken. Transfer chicken to a bowl,add in salt, mango medley, parsley, onions and half the amount of mango. Mix thoroughly to incorporate into chicken.
- Heat oil in skillet. Carefully add chicken (including remnants of marinade: onions, mango, parsley). Sear for ~ 5 minutes or until golden brown. Flip and cook for another 3-5 minutes or until golden brown. Reduce heat, take out chicken and let rest.
- To make vinaigrette, bring contents of skillet to a low simmer, let excess liquid dry out. Drain some excess chicken fat, add in 1 tablespoon pineapple balsamic vinegar and 3 table spoons olive oil. Season with a pinch of black pepper.
- Transfer some greens into a bowl, add in chopped peppers, remaining mangoes. Drizzle with vinaigrette and toss. Add in chicken (cut chicken into bite size pieces ) and serve warm.