Kale! A power house of nutrients. Hearing the crunch from their dark green curly leaves foretells a great find in the produce aisle. Such a robust flavor, and unless you really like your greens this might be a tough one to indulge in uncooked. Many sources, including some vendors at my local farmers market suggest you benefit more from cooked kale. Breakfast smoothies have definitely included a decent amount of raw kale but we are giving these a little cooking time with this dish.
This guilt free kale salad will warm both your stomach and the household. Earthiness of kale, tampered with sweet, fleshy butternut squash and crunchy perfectly cooked red quinoa. Each bite is one to savor and let you taste buds take you places. Like a painters pallet this dish is also easy on the eyes. Dark reds of quinoa commingles with the bright orange of butternut squash and dark earthy greens of kale. It would be an injustice to my body to not partake in a meal featuring such healthy loads of plant proteins and fiber!
Simply skip the salmon to make this dish vegan, r substitute with tempeh, tofu or seitan.
Pan roasted kale and butternut squash salad w/ red quinoa
- 1 bunch kale (washed and roughly chopped)
- 1/3 cup uncooked red quinoa
- 1 1/2 cup diced butternut squash
- 1/4 cup diced shallots
- 1/2 teaspoon berbere spice blend
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Wash and roughly chop kale leaves. Set aside. Also cook quinoa according to package directions and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat oil and sauté shallots until translucent. Add in squash, 1-2 tablespoons of water stir and cook for about 8-10 minutes or until al dente.
- Toss in kale, 2 tablespoons water, stir and cook for about 4-5 minutes. Mix in quinoa, season with berbere spice, salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm with protein of choice. In my case grilled salmon.
- 1/2 lb salmon fillet
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- ~ 1 tablespoon olive oil
Rinse and pad dry salmon with paper towel. Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl and use to rub salmon pieces. Grill over greased grill of choice (Stove top of charcoal). Charcoal preferable to produce a nice smoky flavor. If stove top you might need to finish off in the oven to ensure salmon is properly cooked. Stove top grilled salmon method