Looking for inspiration for meatless Monday? I found it right here, with this colorful bowl of all my favorite things put together. Savory meaty Seitan , sweet crunchy red cabbage, buttery avocado chunks, fluffy quinoa and a handful of fresh greens. Now that’s one hearty salad that should grace any table.
This dish is strictly vegan. Seitan can be substituted with chicken, shrimp, tofu, you name it. They all will transform this salad to a main dish real quick.
Looking at the sodium content of Seitan might worry anyone regardless of whether you have your blood pressure to consider or not. It was rinsed under running water for about a minute. This definitely helped and there was no extra salt added anywhere in the salad. It was then quickly sautéed in a skillet with some fresh herbs and garlic for some extra flavor.
meatless Chicken Quinoa Salad Bowl
- 1/ 2 prewashed red raw quinoa
- 8 oz packet seitan wheat protein
- 2 cups sliced red cabbage
- 3 cups mixed greens
- 1 large avocado cubed (~ 1 1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced onions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- pinch of black pepper
- Cook quinoa according to package directions ( I used low sodium vegetable broth) ~ 20mins with 1 and 1/2 cup broth)
- Rinse seitan chunks thoroughly under running water for about a minute . Slice into bite size pieces.
- Heat oil in a skillet and sauté onions and garlic for about a minute. Add in seitan and cooks for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add in parsley, a pinch of black pepper , stir and turn heat off.
- Arrange all salad ingredients in a bowl as shown, drizzle your favorite salad dressing and serve immediately. Used my serano honey vinaigrette with this salad