Sometimes you just want a quick in and out of the kitchen dinner idea. After a very long drive from Ottawa back to Milwaukee (Christmas vacation) post holidays, we needed an easy meal that would warm us inside out! What better way to start the new year than with this hearty bowl of soup. Super easy and ready in under 45 minutes. After that drive, and returning to a really cold apartment, all we needed was something simple and spicy.
Spicy Moroccan Chickpea soup
- 14.40z can diced roma style tomatoes (no salt added)
- 2 -14.5 oz cans garbanzo beans (Chickpea)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup diced onions
- 2 tbsp. Moroccan spice blend (The Spice House)
- 1 tbsp. Coco-For-Garlic Sauce
- 1/2 tbsp. smoked paprika
- 1/2 tbsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 small Jalapeno peppers finely chopped.
Ingredients – Flour tortilla strips
- 2- 14 inch flour tortillas thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. Meko Dry Rub
Method-Flour tortilla strips
- Preheat oven to 350
- In a bowl drizzle olive oil over tortilla strips, add dry rub and toss to coat strips
- Transfer on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper ( Single layer )
- Bake until golden brown and crispy ( ~ 15 minutes )
- Set aside to be used as topping for soup.
- Rinse, peel and drain garbanzo beans. Set aside.
- In a skillet, heat oil and saute onions for ~ 2 minutes. Then add in tomatoes, 1 cup broth and let cook for 5 minutes.
- Add in all remaining ingredients, stir and let simmer for ~ 25-30 minutes, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve warm, topped with tortilla strips
Left overs are even better because the flavors develop more with time. So this is definitely an ideal next day lunch.