Will take a warm, cheesy , eggy skillet anytime, any day; be it for breakfast, lunch or dinner. You can make them as simple as you want or complemented with vegetables, meats and other condiments. Load up on you protein every morning. And if you are afraid of “egg yolks” for some reason…use egg whites only or half the yolk.
Absolutely love portobello mushrooms! The sheer size usually makes it perfect for burgers or stuffing them for baking. Its earthy flavor and meaty texture also makes it ideal for omelets and other egg dishes! What a way to start the day. And we didn’t forget to “cheese-up”. I mean, we live in Wisconsin! Picked up a block of habanero jack cheese from the Milwaukee Public Market and it added a nice kick to the dish.
Cheesy portobello mushroom and spinach breakfast skillet
- 4 large whole eggs (4 whites, two yolks)
- 1 large portobello mushroom sliced
- 1 c baby spinach leaves
- 1/4-1/3 c freshly grated habanero jack cheese (Or other)
- 1-2 Tbsp smart balance olive oil spread
- salt and pepper to taste
- Whisk eggs in a bowl and set aside.
- In a skillet , melt olive oil spread, add in mushrooms and cook for ~3 minutes
- Throw in spinach and cook until it wilts (~ 1-2 minutes). Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Carefully add eggs in skillet let cook without stirring. Lift edges off to let uncooked portion flow out, cover and let cook until egg is not runny
- Add in cheese, cover to melt cheese (~ 1 min ) then fold in half.
- Serve warm.